Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am on a Board of directors for a Civic association that…

Customer Question
I am on a...

I am on a Board of directors for a Civic association that acts as stewards

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Of small lake upstate N.Y. Board made decision to do a partial draw down of lake without consulting me (the lake mgr). One individual may sue for disrupting her use of lake for potable water source. Board is insured for litigation. I am wanting to resign from board in protest of this decision at oct. meeting I was not present at. Would I have liability exposure if I resign prior to suit?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/17/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, you may be protected from liability if you resign prior to the suit and you may not e protected either. The reason you may not be protected is because if someone sued the association and believes and can prove that you were personally liable for the harm that they suffered, then you could be held personally liable. Also, they will probably allege that you were involved in the matter while you were on the Board. On the other hand, usually most boards of directors receive special protection from their organization because only the organization can be sued. Thus, in your case, unless you did something intentional to cause the person harm, then you will likely be dismissed from the lawsuit, regardless of whether you resign. Did you have any other questions for me?