Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

The people who are buying my house insist on closing at 8…

Customer Question
The people who are...

The people who are buying my house insist on closing at 8 a.m. the day after Thanksgiving with a walkthrough at 7 a.m. With the holiday it’s very difficult to find movers or a truck. Neither agent seems to be willing to continue to plead my case to schedule the closing later in the day. What are my rights? Why does the buyer get to pick the closing time?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?

WI

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I’m confused. What truck?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/17/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Is the buyer financing the property?

The closing company and the lender are both ok with moving the closing time later in the day. It’s just the buyer who is refusing to budge.

The buyer doesn't get to dictate when the closing is. I'm honestly surprised you found a lender who was even willing to consider doing the closing at 8 am on the day after Thanksgiving. A lot of banks would make you wait until Monday.

And quite honestly, if the bank said, "We're doing it at 1 pm," there's nothing the buyer can do about it.

Is there any language in the contract that addresses the closing?

It simply says closing on 11/24/17.