Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My daughter owns a mobile home and pays rent for the space…

Customer Question
My daughter owns a...

My daughter owns a mobile home and pays rent for the space in a mobile home community. The sewer pipes outside had a major problem and sewage flooded their two bathrooms. Who is responsible for damaged carpet in bathrooms and for clean up?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

They did not know how to proceed. Spoke with manager and he said they should call their insurance company and file a claim. But that doesn't seem right to me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Management has a company working on sewer lines now as there are several homes affected. I want to know who is responsible for damages!

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/17/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 8 months ago
Olivia Kent

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

ANSWER: There are two entities that would be responsible: the mobile home community company and the company that did the work. The company/management company were correct to file a claim with their insurance company - but in the interim they need to address this for your daughter. If she had renter's insurance, contacting them now would be smart as well. She can also speak with them about doing the work with her own contractors and then billing the management company but I would discuss that with them first, before proceeding. There should also be clauses in her rental agreement with them that address things like this and the notice needed to proceed. I hope that answers your question. If you don't need any additional information, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question so that I receive credit for working with you. It doesn't cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively (3 or more stars). If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You can still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.

Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 7 months ago

Is there anything else I can answer for you?