Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We are landlords who are in the process of evicting our

Customer Question
We are landlords who...

We are landlords who are in the process of evicting our current tenant. Our lease says that they cannot change the locks and must grant us access with 24 hour notice. The tenants have changed the locks (and not provided a key), and have not permitted us access twice now with proper notice to show the property to prospective tenants. Do we have any recourse?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

PA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes, and the judge has granted us possession. They now have 10 days to appeal before we can proceed to actual eviction.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No we just need to see what recourse we have. Can we put new locks on the property?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

That is fine

Great, thank you! Bear with me a moment while I review...

Thanks so much for your patience. The fact that they are not letting you in and the fact that they have changed the locks without your consent suggests that this appears to be a classic breach of contract. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach meaning that you have the option of cancelling the lease agreement and paying for a return of the locks back to their original state. I also know of something that can help you with this situation. If you click here, you can request an attorney-prepared breach of contract letter for a flat fee (usually around $250). Turnaround time is less than 48 hours. Take a look at the link and fill out the contact form if you’re interested. What other questions did you have for me?