Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I wanted to know who is responsible to enforce maintenance

on a drainage easement in...
i wanted to know who is responsible to enforce maintenance on a drainage easement in Bexar County?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Sorry, Texas
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No, I am supposed to meet the city administrator and the landowner (next door neighbor) of the property where the easement is.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just need to know who enforces the maintenance.
11/17/2017
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you give some context? Is this a private property easement (so both the dominate and servient estates are private property)?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
There is a drainage easement on the side of my property which is on my neighbors property. I need to know which entity is responsible to determine what the proper maintenance is to ensure proper drainage (we flooded 4 years ago) and who enforces the maintenance of said easement?
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
At this time I only need to know what the Bexar County Texas statue is. This is for my residence.

Thanks

There is NO county statute. This is a state law issue

TX law provides the following:

The easement holder must maintain the easement and the owner of the servient estate must not interfere with the dominant estate

THe case can be seen here

https://www.leagle.com/decision/19901510788sw2d72211404

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Lawyer
Phone call session started
P. Simmons, Lawyer