Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am in an HOA. The HOA wants an air conditioner unit at the…

Customer Question
I am in an...

I am in an HOA. The HOA wants an air conditioner unit at the rear side of the home to be removed but the bylaws states must be removed from front wall or Windows. Also individual in the home previously had throat cancer and is in recovery. The doctor sent a letter to the HOA to allow the air conditioner along with the humidifier. The HOA is refusing to budge. What can we do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No, only signed dated letter from the cancer doctor

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/17/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If the bylaws do not provide for removal of a rear unit, only front wall or windows, the HOA has no authority to demand removal. Furthermore, you need to write a letter to the Board and inform them not only is their demand contrary to the bylaws, but you have requested reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act as enforced through the Fair Housing Act and even if the unit was in violation, which it is not, them denying this reasonable accommodation would violate the ADA and FHA.

If they continue to insist after you do that, then your next step is filing a lawsuit in court for a declaratory judgment and also for violation of the ADA and FHA.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I will be glad to send you a premium service offer for a phone call, if you do not wish to pay for premium service we can continue here at your original price by you using the REPLY button.