Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I recieved notification of a judgement against me from

Customer Question
employment security. I have...
I recieved notification of a judgement against me from employment security. I have been unemployed and missed paying back my monthly payments to them. They went after my bank account and recieved no funds. I informed them I have been unemployed, that is the reason for the missed payments. The woman from employment security told me if I can send something too them, it would stop levy garnishment actions. It's with the State of Washington. I just was offered a great job at a dental office and would like my new employer not to get notification of this judgement to garnish wages. I fear the embarrassment along with possibly of losing such a great job. They are in the process of doing a background check on me will my employer see this judgement?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/17/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. It really depends on the scope of the background check and what they are looking for. I say this because it may be to see your criminal history and if there is any or they may look more in depth and on the civil side. Having a judgment against you is a civil issue, so it may not be something that would disqualify you, if you are a qualified candidate for the job. In order to avoid garnishment, you would need to work out a payment plan with this company, so that they would not go after your paycheck. If you do work out a payment plan, you need to get something in writing from them, whereby they will agree and allow you to make payments directly to them and not garnish your paychecks.

Employment security informed me that all they will do is note my account if I can't make the entire payment of 440$ monthly. Unfortunately, they can't rewrite any payment plan for me. How does a garnishment stay active? Is it enforced once only? Or, does it last forever? Do they have too refile a new judgement every so often to garnish again with a new employer? How does this work?
Are you still there?
Hello?

Sorry for the delay. You had opted me out

Real Estate Lawyer: Seattle Scott, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Seattle Scott

In WA state a wage garnishment goes in 60 days cycles, or stated another way a writ of garnishment on wages instructs the employer to withhold the non-exempt pay which is usually 25% of total pay for a 30 day period and then report in on how much was withheld during the first 30 days and then this is repeated for another 30 days. After 60 days of garnishment the creditor has to go back to court to get another writ and start the cycle over again.

If this debt is for non-payment of employment security taxes then the State probably has a filed tax warrant and not a judgment, but it has the same result. As soon as you are hired at a new job, the employer must report the hire to Employment Security and refernece your social security number, so the state will know where you are working and can go after 25% of your paycheck.

Seattle Scott
Seattle Scott
Seattle Scott, Lawyer