Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have been subletting a rent stabalized apartment for two…

Customer Question
I have been subletting...

I have been subletting a rent stabalized apartment for two years and never missed a payment.Rent is 1529 for a two bedroom. The person on the lease is leaving LA and gave notice to landlord. We wish to stay but credit is not good. Landlord has agreed to a co-signer but has incresaed rent to 1800/month and refuses our service dog who has also been with us for the entire time we have lived here. There are many pets in the building so this seems arbitrary. What are my rights

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Los angeles, california

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No no paper work no written notice from LL

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats about it other than we are very very well liked by the residents and have no issues. I am a senior (68) and my partner is 55

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/16/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a CA licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Could you tell me please what kind of agreement you have with the original tenant? Is it a lease, is it month to month?

we have a month to month lease with the lease holder who has a lease with LL. leasholder is moving away and cancelling the lease with LL
answer?

I see what you mean. One moment. I'm a slow typer. I'll be with you soon:-)

Thanks for your patience. There’s a lot to unpack here so I want to encourage you to read this carefully. Under state law, it is generally disallowed to evict someone on the grounds that they are using a service animal. It’s considered discrimination and it is not legal. Also, if you have reason to believe they are evicting you based on your age, then that is illegal as well. If those are too hard to prove or if they do not apply, then the rent stabilization ordinance for Los Angeles is going to control. If it is covered as a rent controlled unit, meaning that it was built before 10/1/1978, then they can only evict you under circumstances if you are not at fault. Generally, the reasons they can evict is if they want to use the property for their family member, they want it for a resident manager, they’re demolishing the property, the government is kicking them out,or they are converting it to an affordable housing unit.

A landlord in a rent controlled unit can only up the rent and utilities by a certain amount. Instead of me writing them all out, if you click here, you can find out more information to see if this amount is legal. If it is not, you should contact the City and they will be able to assist. What other questions did you have for me?

Tina, Lawyer