Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I discussed with you about contract to lease agreement

Customer Question
Hello,I discussed with you about...
Hello,I discussed with you about contract to lease agreement breaking by the tenant before moving in and I didnt take off the ad from the market after the contract. Tenant replied like this:
"Please let me know what the status is regarding deposit. Our client could not have caused any harm to your client as this was never taken off active status despite being under contract. Our counsel advises that we have grounds for the return of funds.
They would likely be willing to surrender ½ their deposit peacefully or they will fight for full return of 100% of their funds. Both parties will incur costs to do so. Let’s help both parties resolve this amicably"
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/16/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

It is up to you. A lease is valid and binding from the moment it is signed. Regardless of whether it was still being marketed, you had a valid lease and could not have entered into a new lease without a release of the original lease.

So, the fact that the ad was still running is irrelevant to the enforceability of the lease.

You can settle with them if you want, but you are entitled to enforce the lease signed by the tenants.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!