Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in and the community is in a homeowners association.

Good morning. I...

Good morning. I live in Virginia and the community is in a homeowners association.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

What is the easement law state. This association wants to keep putting signs on my yard because I live on the corner lot.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I simply need advise on my rights and the easement issue.

11/16/2017
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

An easement is a written right to use someone else's land. Usually, an easement is for travel - say if I need to cross your land to get from the public road to my own property. For the HOA to have an easement, you should know about it. If they're claiming they have one, ask them to produce it. It's only valid if there's a writing signed by you or whoever owned the property before you.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Can you please go into more detail before I go to the board with this information.

The burden is on them. There's no general right to use someone else's property. If they're saying they have one, they need to prove it.

Ok thank you

Once they can show you anything that says they get to post signs on your lawn, then I may be able to give you more information. It could be somewhere buried in the bylaws. But it might not exist.

Please rate my answer positively so I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. If you're on a mobile device, you may have to scroll to the left. Thank you.

There is nothing in the by laws

Then they don't have an easement.

Thank you very much for your help. Have a great day.

You're welcome. You, too.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer