Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Yesplease. I just bought a condo 3 weeks ago. I had a home…

Customer Question
I just bought a...

I just bought a condo 3 weeks ago. I had a home inspection he said everything was good and he would buy it. I knew the heater was old but only bought it knowing that the owners gave me a home warranty on appliances. long story short I just found out today I have mold all in the duct system and the vent guy came today to check it out and said it all has to be replaced. I'm devastated.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the condo located?

Sewell NJ 08080

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I called warranty company and they said they don't replace it. I called realtor she said I bought it and its my issue. I'm told I can't put it under home insurance. Is there anything I can do?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/16/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

To be honest, you are kind of stuck here if the seller had no knowledge of the issue so didn't disclose it. And if they have mold in the ducts, they would only potentially know about it if they actually looked inside the ducts, which no one really does... And if they maintain that they had no idea, there is not really any way to prove they knew..

.

As for the home inspectors, they have iron clad contracts that say that they aren't liable if they miss something that isn't obvious and that the home inspection is just their best guesstimate of condition. So you likely wouldn't have a recourse there either.

.

The thought does come to mind that this might be a sales pitch by the vent guy... so I think I would want to actually see what they are talking about and maybe have a mold test done before I ripped out what might be perfectly fine ductwork based on the duct guys assessment..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much