Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My son lived in a condo owned me and are suing me for legal…

Customer Question
My son lived in...

My son lived in a condo owned b me and are suing me for legal fees that arouse from a problem with my autistic son. The fees were $12000 which the association was supposed to negotiate. They are now being sued for their own fees and they made me an offer to pay them $10000. I asked to have an additional clause to protect me from further claims and now the don’t answer my calls. How can I settle this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

There is an agreement to settle by me paying reasonable attorneys fees. Yes. They also demanded to escrow the full amount when I sold the condo

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/15/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. Did your son agree to pay for any assessments or fees while they were living on the property, or were you still responsible for them?

I am totally responsible. I was up to date on all fees until sell of condo
I prefer to type

I see what you mean. It can be difficult to settle a debt with people; however, sometimes, just settling the debt is the easiest thing to do if you want to avoid going to court. It doesn't always appear as if it's the easiest thing to do, but every single day lawyers across the country are explaining to their clients that if they just work on settling their debts in a way that makes sense for them and they are going to be in a better position in the long-term. To facilitate your situation, there’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for debt settlement (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If you send this letter and they do not respond, then try sending it again to remind them that settling is really what resolving disputes is all about.

What other questions did you have for me?

Tina, Lawyer