Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Question re California rental property tenant breaking lease…

Customer Question
Question re California rental property...
Question re California rental property tenant breaking leaseA tenant is three months into her one year lease and wants to break it due to family emergency.
1) What are the rule and regulations in California?
2) I’m okay to charge her 85% of re-letting fee, let her go and find a new tenant
3) If she were to find a tenant to replace her remaining lease, do I have to stick with the old lease and just change the tenant’s name? Or, can I start a new lease with that new tenant?
Thanks,
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/15/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 8 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi Harry. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: The tenant is still legally liable for the full term of the lease, however you are required to take reasonable steps to find a replacement tenant. The current tenant would only pay for the amount of time that the rental unit is vacant. You may start a new lease with the new tenant and regardless if you increase the rent, the tenant is still liable for any time that the rental is left vacant. The current tenant is also liable for reasonable expenses of re-renting the property, such as advertising costs.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.