Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Pearl, I bought the family farm from my mother and dad back…

Customer Question
Pearl, I bought the...

Pearl, I bought the family farm from my mother and dad back in 1996 but didn't transfer the property by deed to myself at the time because of income tax fear for my parents. Dad died 6 years later and then when Mother started aging the older sister took care of her. Mother then deeded property to my sister but did not deed the part I agreed to. Now, my sister is 10-11 years delinquent on the school and property tax. If I pay the taxes can I get a deed for the property?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I apologize, Red River County of Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I found out she was delinquent when some law firm filed a suite on the property for the school district and served our baby sister. To this day I still haven't been served.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything other than I do have a piece of paper my mother and father signed giving me ownership. (somewhere)

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/15/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you. You would want to purchase the back taxes in order to get title to the property.

I can provide a link for local Attorneys that provide FREE consultations in the area that would be able to assist you.

how would I be able to claim a title for the property?

"Tax Lien Certificates In Texas TX

Texas does not have tax lien certificate sales. However, Texas is an excellent state for tax deed sale. Here is summary of information for Texas Tax Sales:

Interest Rate

25% for the first six months on tax deed properties that are redeemed by the owner

Redemption Period

Texas actually has two redemption periods, for properties to enter the tax deed process, the redemption period can be as soon as one year, but varies a great deal, usually 2 years. However, after a property is sold at a tax deed sale, the owner still gets 6-months to redeem the property before you can obtain clear title.

Texas tax lien auctions

Texas does not have tax lien certificate auctions

Texas tax deed sales

Texas is possibly the best state for tax deed sales

Bidding Process

All auctions are by competitive bid. Surprisingly, private law firms and sheriffs handle the sales

State Specific Information

Texas is probably one of the most famous tax deed states because in some cases many properties are available and if the owner redeems (buys back the property before a certain date, usually six months after the tax deed is sold) the property, you still get paid 25% on your investment in the property." http://www.tax-lien-certificates.com/tax_lien_certificates_tax_deed_sales_texas_tx.html

Red River County Attorneys that provide FREE consultations http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/firm/real-estate-law/red-river-county/texas

Thank you. Talking on the phone would be nice but I'm out on a project site and the cell phone is useless. I have a Hot Spot that works most of the time. I may pursue this further tomorrow.

We can continue to work in this format. The site sends the telephone call request. Please feel free to ignore the request.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Thank you for your consideration.

Do you have any additional questions for me? Are you still online with me?

Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney