Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can a landlord show an occupied unit in Illinois or do they…

Customer Question
Can a landlord show...

Can a landlord show an occupied unit in Illinois or do they have to wait until the unit is vacated?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has the landlord taken so far? Have they prepared or filed any paperwork?

No. I have given a 60 day notice, and they say they will start showing it in December.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they talked to an IL lawyer about this?

I don't know> I am not in a dispute with them, I just wanted to know if them showing it next month is legal.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/15/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 8 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: Yes, the landlord may show the rental unit while it is still occupied. However, the landlord must give you reasonable notice prior to entering the unit and give you the opportunity to be present while showing the unit. Reasonable notice is generally 24 hours. If you are not available at that time, you can request that the landlord show the unit at another time, as long as it is close to the original time (usually 1 to 3 days).

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.