Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My husband and I recently moved because or landlord informed…

Customer Question
My husband and I...

My husband and I recently moved because or landlord informed us he was selling his house. It was quite a process and my husband was quiet ill and hand required surgery. I must agree the landlord was good about giving us extensions. Unfortunately I became very ill and was hospitalized the last week we were moving. The landlord tells me because he served me with eviction papers I cannot retrieve my music which was inadvertently left in the piano bench. First of all I did not get a final eviction notice at the hospital. I imagine my husband did but I never saw one, Secondly UPS delivered 2 boxes of x-mas presents which I purchased well before we were at our new address. The landlord never informed me if the items came. I stopped over one day and looked in the garage and sure enough the deliveries were there. I notified the land lord and asked him if I could arrange to get the music and my deliveries. He was extremely rude and told me if I cam near the house again he would have me arrested. I have a picture of the deliveries in the garage and the piano bench. He does not care if I was in the hospital and doesn't seem to realize if I was in the hospital I could not retrieve my property. Please help me find out what I can do to retrieve what is mine. Theresa Haskell

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Cortland, New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not I my part, still recovering

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If I do not get the deliveries, I will still have to pay for them.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/15/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: legalgems, Arbitrator replied 5 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I'm sorry you had to deal with this while having to deal with medical issues and hospitalization.

There is no statute that governs this but common law in NY indicates that the landlord becomes a gratuitous involuntary bailee so they are essentially a constructive trustee over the property and must act with due care. This means they canot dispose of the property and rather must inventory the property, store it and notify tenant where the property is located.

Landlord can charge reasonable moving/storage feees.

If landlord fails to return the property or disposes of it before a reasonable time has elapsed (not defined, but generally 30 days) the tenant can sue for damages, or if the property is still accessible, for an injunction ordering the landlord to return the property.

The tenant may also request court fees required to litigate the matter.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator