Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My husband and I have a house only in my name. We are trying…

Customer Question
My husband and I...

My husband and I have a house only in my name. We are trying to refinance, but I don't qualify without his salary. He would need to be added to the title. He still owes arrears to his ex-wife. Can she put a lien on our home if I add him to the title?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

His 3 kids are 33, 34 and 37. 2 are married. He has paid over the initial $$ required, but the fees and penalties keep piling up!

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/15/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: KLAW, Arbitrator replied 8 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Arbitrator
If he's placed on title, the lien will attach to the house, and it'll stay in place until ALL the support is paid, including arrears and the penalties are paid.The arrearswill attach to ANY real estate that ever gets his name. I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars so that I will receive credit and payment for assisting you with your question.