Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We have an issue with a settlement. we are selling our house…

Customer Question
We have an issue...

We have an issue with a settlement. we are selling our house in Berks county, pa. We originally had today as the settlement date. as of this past Monday, we still had no time of settlement. They called Monday to say it was not happening on Wednesday because of the buyers bank and that it might be th,fr, or next Monday. Now we have a storage unit, a pod , a temp apartment and spent over $1000 in movers. We needed to come up with a more convenient settlement since everything was halted and I had no where to put our stuff. As of yesterday, still no settlement. They call a couple hours ago to say we HAVE TO settle today. My husband is at work and we still have stuff here. Don't we have to have some kind of documentation of schedule for closing and not all this verbal on and off stuff. We are desperate. I am a mess. My husband is at work and we are getting jerked around by the both realtors!

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

PA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

A couple weeks ago we signed that today was to be the settlement. Then that is when we were told Monday night it was cancelled. We have have no follow up docs with the particulars.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They are making us come today. My husband is trying to leave work early. He didn't have a walk thru and we have all of our things still here and we had to get the utilities reconnected because I originally had it set to turn off today. I called yesterday to keep them on since they wanted to wait to settle.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/15/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. I'm sorry for the long day. Generally, you do not have to have any schedule for closing on the home at all. It's entirely up to the sellers and the buyers when they want to close. Typically, the parties will wait a reasonable amount of time to secure finance and to conduct whatever title searches or inspections need to be done. However, they're not obligated to set up a specific schedule at all. In your case, you are not required to close today if you are not ready to do so and if you did not otherwise promise that you would do so. If you need to wait for a more convenient time to do so, you can advise the other parties of this. I would also probably strongly recommend that you do set up a schedule for closing so everyone is on the same page. What other questions did you have for me?