Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My neighbor is about to run another water line to the lake.

Customer Question
My neighbor is about...

My neighbor is about to run another water line to the lake. They are land locked and not on the lake nor own property on or in the lake but we allow them to use the lake water. Have I created an easement issue where they can walk on my property at anytime for repairs or when they sell give water rights to the buyer. I am so worried that I have been nice to them but may have done something to give away my land rights by being a good neighbor. Is there anything they can sign to stop the easement from being valid or do i have to deny access and make my neighbor upset. I am very worried I have allowed myself to be duped into an easement by being a good neighbor.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pinellas County Florida 33708 zip code

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No paperwork - I don't even know what you mean

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just a easement question on time period, law and how to protect my property from giving an easement to my neighbor where I lose control of my property by being a good neighbor and allowing water pipe to be on my land and water taken from my ownership portion of my lake.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/15/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

What are they using the lake water for? irrigation?

.

Did you give them permission all along to use your land for this purpose? or did you just not say anything when they ran the line initially?

.

.

thanks

The line was ran by the previous owner and I allowed it to continue. It is not working now and they want to run it along my neighbors property line and then back into my yard by the lake for entry into the water so they can pump water to their lawn. They have no access or ownership of the lake but use the lake to water their lawn.

Ok, so did you ever actually say "Hey Bob, it is ok for you to run that line across my property" or did you just not say anything at all to them..

.

Do you want to allow them to do so or not?

.

.

thanks

Tina, Lawyer