Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm dealing with a pretty sketchy property management

Customer Question
I'm dealing with a...

I'm dealing with a pretty sketchy property management company. I'm moving out this month but want to assure I will get my deposit back since there is no damage. I know this will be a battle so I wanted to figure out what resources I had at my disposal to help

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

They know I'm moving out and they dropped off a rude letter stating my tenancy has been terminated. Now I can't get ahold of anyone or get them to return my calls

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Silverdale Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nope that should work

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/15/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The Landlord-Tenant Act does not require that your landlord do a walk out inspection with you, though you certainly can ask them to do one. It’s a good idea to get thorough documentation of the condition you leave the unit in, even if your landlord won’t inspect the unit before you move out. They are required to complete a move-in checklist with the tenant at the initiation of tenancy. One way to get documentation is to take detailed photographs of the unit before you leave. Putting a copy of the day’s newspaper in each frame will prove the date it was taken.

Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!