Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My father left his home to myself and 2 siblings in his

Customer Question
My father left his...

My father left his home to myself and 2 siblings in his will. We have a buyer for the house, however there is a lien on the property, under my husbands name, who is not listed on the will, but because we are married the company informed us that the lien must be paid before the sale goes through. Is this legal if his name is ***** ***** on the will? Is it because we are married and it is a common law state? Please let me know. Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Mexico

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

On the lien, yes. We are now in negotiations with the company that has the lien.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, thank you.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/15/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened. What is the lien for? Was it a joint debt, or at least a debt acquired after the two of you were married?