Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My neighbor has installed video cameras at each entrance to…

Customer Question
My neighbor has installed...

My neighbor has installed video cameras at each entrance to their home. These cameras also capture portions of my property, and one looks as though it captures my back yard pool area. I have 3 daughters and a wife who frequently use the pool and I am concerned what these cameras are capturing on video and whether they also capture audio. What recourse to I have, not knowing what the cameras are actually recording? We live in Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. They originally had one at the front door that had limited ability to see our property, put it does capture the sidewalk and Street. They have in the past posted about animals they have captured on their porch on Facebook . They have now installed cameras at their Garage doors which potentially captures portions of our front yard and at the slider on their elevated deck which potentially can see directly into my yard and pool area.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/15/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Sure, review

Thanks so much. Bear with me a moment...

My goodness, I am very sorry for the delay. I was working on something that came up unexpectedly. Regardless, here is the answer to your question.

Ordinarily, a person cannot invade on the reasonable seclusion of another. This is called the tort of intrusion upon seclusion. This means that if someone is intruding upon a place where a person has a reasonable expectation of privacy, then they could be held liable for that intrusion.n . In your case, if this person is capturing video of the pool area, and if you believe that the pool area has a reasonable expectation of privacy, then you could potentially bring suit against them for their actions. However, if the pool area is wide open or could be easily seen by neighbors or passersby, then you may not have a cause of action. You may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter to advise them to stop. Lawyers use letters like these often to enforce their client’s rights. Here’s a website that has a good template (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

What other questions did you have for me?

How does a cease and desist work if I don’t know what the cameras are capturing, also what prevents them from changing camera angles at a later date. I’m not interested in monitoring my neighbors surveillance cameras. Or getting into a legal battle. We are not particularly friendly with these neighbors to begin with. Is there anything local police would do to determine what the cameras are doing or is my only recourse taking legal action

The cease and desist letter is just basically a strongly worded letter that you could send to your neighbor. Without a court order, there's not much that you could do to prevent them from changing angles at a later date. The cease and desist letter is something that basically helps keep you out of litigation as much as possible. You could always work with them informally by explaining that they could be held civilly liable if they don't move it and even enter into an agreement such that they won't record your family. What other questions did you have for me?