Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a property that I will be taking a loan out to buy…

Customer Question
I have a property...

I have a property that I will be taking a loan out to buy that i currently live in with my sponse , but I won't to get a divorce The property belong to my mother, who is now deceased. How do i protect the property from getting mix up in the divorce. I have not started the loan process on the home or the divorce paper work.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

No, not yet. Should l start the divorce first ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is she in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of at this time.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/15/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Your spouse should not be placed on title or involved directly in the loan. In doing so you can proceed as it’s not a marital asset it is protected!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Can he live in the property ?
That is permitted and won’t impact rights. Would you kindly rate me five stars - that is the only way I get credit by the website. Thank you!
Infolawyer, Lawyer