Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My landlord kept my deposit. I would like to talk with a…

Customer Question
My landlord kept my...

My landlord kept my deposit. I would like to talk with a lawyer about how I can recover the loss.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

New Mexico

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, but I want my renter's name on a list of some kind so she can not do this again to someone else.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/14/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 8 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: In order to recover any amount of security deposit that was wrongfully held by your prior landlord you will need to file suit against them. Depending on the amount owed, you can file a small claims suit, which costs less and is a much faster process.

Unfortunately, there is not "list" that is available for this type of issue. You can however file a claim the Consumer Protection Division of the Office of the Attorney General by clicking here.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.