Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My son's landlord needs a copy of the statutes regarding…

Customer Question
My son's landlord needs...

My son's landlord needs a copy of the statutes regarding florida law. My son broke up with girlfriend moths ago. Remained friends. She came came to visit for 2 weeks and is now refusing to leave my son's home he rents. His landlord is willing to help him but lives out of state. Please help.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The rental is in Florida but the landlord lives in Kentucky

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No. nothing like that. landlord want to keep my son as a tenant. Just need the old girlfriend to leave.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Landlord is looking for statutes....?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/14/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Did she show up with her personal property like clothing and toiletries and move in?

.

Has he given her any written notice to vacate?

.

Does she have a key? get her mail there?

.

.

thanks

She came to visit for 2 weeks to she could get he I.d. brought a suit case with clothes and toiletries.
Only verbal notice.
She does not have keys.
She had one oiece if mail there and has now gotten her I.d. with his address. She us not on the lease.

Ok, then he has two ways he can approach this... If he considered her a guest, he can just pack up her stuff and put it out on the front porch and lock her out. If she calls the police, he can explain that she was a guest who has overstayed her welcome and he is ejecting her as a trespasser.

.

If the police took her side and wouldn't let him throw her out, then he will have to give her a written 7 day notice to vacate as a week to week tenant under FL Statutes 83.57 and then evict her through the courts with a formal eviction case if she won't leave after getting a 7 day notice.

.

With the ID and getting mail there, it looks more and more like she is now a resident and would have to be evicted...

.

.

thanks

Thank you

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much