Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can the treasury of our homeowners association invest some…

Customer Question
Can the treasury of...

Can the treasury of our homeowners association invest some of the money that the association has in CD'S or any other type of investment?

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

St. Mary's County in Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

The treasurer has not provided the new board members any information, he just says that there are at least two CD's and other accounts for the HOA.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is it lawful for him to withhold any information regarding the finances of the HOA?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/14/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

The treasurer of a homeowners association is responsible for the management of association funds. The treasurer must adhere to what is known in the law as the "prudent person" investment standard. If he/she does this, then he/she is not liable for breach of fiduciary in the management of the funds.

The prudent person standard requires that investments must be made in the most careful and diligent manner. Bank CDs are some of the safest (albeit, lowest return) investments. No court would likely find a breach of fiduciary for investment in bank CDs. Investment in stocks or "junk bonds", however, could easily violate the prudent person standard, and it would be necessary to obtain a favorable vote from the association board before making such an investment. Otherwise, the treasurer could be found in breach of fiduciary.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!