Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have been an exclent tenant now i am trying to break my…

Customer Question
I have been an...

I have been an exclent tenant now i am trying to break my lease, they want 2 months notice and then 2 months penalty. i can understand the 2 months penalty and be glad to pay but is that not 2 months notice as well. I hate where i live drugs, prostitutes, dogs peeing everyday in he elevators and murders. the place has gone to hell and i want out.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Florida panama city beach

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No just discusions

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thats it

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/14/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand. Is there any early termination clause in the lease? Are they saying they want a 60 day notice and then for you to also pay two months rent after that or just pay the two months rent and you can vacate?

you are correct... hello

Thank you for the reply. From a legal standpoint, the landlord/management, needs to make sure the property and common areas are safe and secure. If all this activity is going on, they need to be placed on notice and given a chance to cure it. If they can not and it effects your right to quiet enjoyment and safety and is a concern, you may be able to use it as a basis to break the lease and vacate, if they fail to correct it. Now, it is not uncommon for two months rent to be asked for, to break the lease but to give them a 60 day notice AND two months rent, would be unreasonable, so you can make a counter offer and agree to pay them the two months rent and vacate now, since they should be able to find a new tenant, within that time.

thank you so much

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer