Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Not real estate. But tenant V landlord issue. Can you help??

Customer Question
Not real estate. But...

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Calif.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes, we r out of the property, but have issues with the personal property that landlord kept

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have the details on "Flash" and can upload

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

We are only available to answer your question, but we cannot represent you in your case. What are your questions?

In May of 2009 my wife and I rented an apartment and half of a 2 car garage that we shared with another resident at the apartment complex located in Orange County, California.
In August of 2016 my wife and I were served with a Vacate Order for that same apartment and garage we rented. The last day we could be on the property to claim our belongings in the apartment or garage was August 31, 2016. That would have been sufficient time line for us to vacate the property but for the fact that the manager of the property parked a broken down truck in front of the garage that we rented with the apartment making it impossible to move our belongings out of the garage. We had contacted the city police about the truck on 2 different occasions and both times the manager was told to move the truck which she never did. With a Public Records Request I have the Police Vest Camera’s footage of the officer asking the manager about the truck being parked in front of the garage and the manager admitting that yes she did park the truck there. This vest camera footage is after the fact that we forfeited the property in that garage because we were not able to vacate by August 31st.
There is much more. During the seven years that we lived at the complex the owner need maintenance done on several other properties that he owned or on one of the other 54 units at the complex we lived at. It was in the last 6 months that I would do work for the owner and he would delay or “Carry-Over” the payment for my labors to the following month and ultimately ended being $4642.37 that he was not going to credit me at all. So we stopped paying rent and the Unlawful Detainer was pursued by the owner.
During the last 3.5 years that we lived at the complex several new residents rented apartments and did not require a garage these garages were left empty and per City Code could not be rented to residents unless new contracts were signed including the garage. I asked the owner if I could rent the vacant garages on month to month bases. The owner agreed if the payment was made in cash (These garages that I refer to now do not include the apartment and garage that we contracted for in May of 2009). My wife and I had been successful at the buying and selling of antiques and collectables, we earned most income from that source. That requires inventory and a network of outlets as well as sources of inventory that we had developed over the years. This “Garage Rental” arraignment went on for 3.5 years and we became very successful. But with that success we needed more space going from renting 1 two car garage to by June of 2016 we rented a total of 5 two car garages and 1 single car garage, all full of antiques and collectable and tools of my trade craft(Metal Worker). Each garage we rented for $140 per month, except the single car garage was $60 per month. We payed cash and were given receipts for payment for the garages. During the Vacate Order my wife and I removed everything from the apartment and into two of the garages that we rented, since the Eviction and/or Notice to Vacate did not anything outside of the rental agreement signed in May, 2009. The Police Vest Cams very clearly record the owner stating “Yes those extra garages do have the evicted tenant’s property in them and they did have permission to rent them. We did not receive “Due Process” to vacate those garages with our property in them and also believe that the police are guilty of wrong doing by making us leave or be arrested when we went to those garages to retrieve our property.
The timeline is August 31, 2016 the last day of Order to Vacate, on September 02, 2016(Two days later) I witnessed these garages being ransacked or “Cherry Picked” for my trade craft tools (Welding machines, hand power tools, Machinist’s instruments etc.)and the most valuable items (two Safes with collectable Baseball cards and coins, Silver and gold items in them, hand blown Murano Glass, Chinese rugs, etc.) by the owner and loaded into his personal trucks, followed by about 8 men throwing what the owner left behind (Personal Family photo albums, military awards of family members, personal computers a financial records) into “Ryder” rental trucks. Later we found that the men and trucks were operated by a service called “1-800-Got Junk”.
We have sent requests to the owner for our property and were answered back with “The property in the garages was disposed of because the total value was less than $750. That is false and can be proven by many clients that have been in the garages to purchase items and by the Police Vest Cameras that recorded the opening of each garage before we were threatened with arrest or leave.
We had the entire apartment’s contents and antiques/collectables inventory and my trade craft tools that exceed $560,000 in value. The financial records, family pictures and family air looms, personal records…We do not know how to value the loss. Do I have a winable case???
Did you get that?
Real Estate Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Different contributor here. Can you tell me, what is your specific question? Are you asking if you can sue the landlord for, essentially, stealing your property?

to your question. Yes please call me anytime today @(###) ###-#### Thank you

I sent the offer for a call...once you accept I can give a call

Follow up, are you still looking for an answer to this question?