Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Cut to te chase. Should I have been notified house had a…

Customer Question
Cut to te chase. Should...
Cut to te chase. Should I have been notified house had a lien. the claim they sent letters they didn't. I asked to show me the paper thatI rec'd certified letter she said she doesn't keep and the post said it looked like I moved. I'm still here that was not true.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/13/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

What type of a lien? Depending on the type of lien I can set out the notice that was required.

A lien on my house for nonpayment ofdues.. I waspaying but not always on time

A lien from a homeowner's association. Is that correct?

Their lawyer

Did you fall behind on association dues?

Well they had the amount on lien sent me notice they said about 3250 and when we asked Wilkens it 2250. Ijust want to know should they the lien was put on and I received a certified near Oct.

Do you have a copy of your association rules?

An Association can place a lien on your property for unpaid or late dues

"Generally, a COA or HOA has the power to place a lien on your property if you become delinquent in paying the monthly dues and/or any special assessments (collectively referred to as “assessments”).

In New Jersey, a COA lien becomes effective once the association records a claim of lien in the county records (N.J. Stat. Ann. § 46:8B-21(a)). To find out when an HOA lien becomes effective, check the association’s governing documents.

State law and the COA or HOA’s governing documents will usually set out the type of charges that may be included in the lien. If authorized by the association’s governing documents, a COA is permitted to include the following in its lien:

• past-due assessments
  • late fees (though the association cannot record a lien that consists solely of late fees)
  • fines
  • reasonable attorney’s fees, and
  • interest at a rate established by the association, but no more than the legal rate (N.J. Stat. Ann. § 46:8B-17, § 46:8B-21(a)).

To find out which charges a New Jersey HOA may include in its lien, check the association's governing documents." https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/new-jersey-hoa-coa-foreclosures.html

What notice is stated in the governing documents for your Association?

Can you tell me what is stated in your Association governing documents?

So yes you needed to be notified by the procedure set out in your association documents. The Association governing documents are a contract between the owners and the Association. Each party is bound to the terms.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Thank you for your consideration.

Are you able to see the rating scale, 5 stars? Were you unhappy with my service?

The Attorneys do not receive credit for out work if the customer does not rate us positively. Thank you for your consideration.

Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney