legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

I receive a letter from my landlord stating that I have 3

Customer Question

hi,
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: i receive a letter from my landlord stating that I have 3 vehicles in stead of 1. which is true. I have 14 days to remedy the situation. I removed 1 and the other belongs to a guest that is staying with me in the apt. He has just returned and will be with me for 2 weeks. do I have to remove the 2 Car or is it ok for him to drive it while he stays with me? I live in Davidson County, Nashville, TN
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: no filings. just prepared a letter giving 60 day notice. They are saying that if the 2nd car is still there after 14 days that I will have 14 days to vacate.
JA: Have you talked to a TN lawyer about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your landlord. Unfortunately if a lease only allows a tenant to have one car per unit, then that would be controlling. The landlord must give the tenant notice of the breach of the lease, and an opportunity to cure (fix) the issue- 14 days is required by law;

here is that information:

10) What type of notice is required to terminate the tenancy under the Act? Ten (10) days’ written notice is required to terminate a week-to-week tenancy, and 30 days’ written notice is required to terminate a month-to-month tenancy. The Act states that if there is a material noncompliance by the tenant with the rental agreement or provisions in law which materially affect health and safety, the landlord shall give notice of termination to the tenant. If the breach is remediable by payment of rent, the cost of repairs, damages or any other amount due to the landlord pursuant to the rental agreement, the landlord may give the tenant fourteen (14) days to remedy the breach. If the breach is not remediable, the landlord may give the tenant fourteen (14) days’ notice of termination. If substantially the same act or omission which constituted a prior noncompliance of which notice was given recurs within six months, the landlord may terminate the agreement with at least seven days written notice. The landlord may terminate a rental agreement within three (3) days of written notice received by the tenant if the tenant or any person on the premises with the tenant’s consent commits a violent act or behaves in a manner which constitutes or threatens to be a real and present danger to the health, safety or welfare or the life of property of other persons on the premises or creates a hazardous or unsanitary condition that affects the same.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

That information is here

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/commerce/attachments/Consumer-LANDLORDANDTENANTFAQs.pdf

it is a very useful guide.

Good luck to you!

further questions post here please!
no further questions, kindly rate positively!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will My guest be able to drive his Vehicle on the Property without violating the 1 vehicle rule?
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Driving is generally different than parking; the lease would need to be reviewed to see how many tenant vehicles there may be, and how many guest vehicles.

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

(no additional charges are incurred).

Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: