Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Ray, We spoke last month about evicting my ex-girlfriend…

Customer Question
Ray, We spoke last month about...
Ray,
We spoke last month about evicting my ex-girlfriend from my home. I gave my tenant/guest (ex-girlfriend) their 30 day notice on Oct 17, 2017. It doesn't appear that she is making any effort to leave and that I may need to proceed with the evection process. What's next? Do I go down to the court house on Nov 17 and file for eviction? (Is that the process? What's required?) Regards, Rich
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Yes Rich thats the next step.You file forcible entry and detainer and get a hearing date and she gets served with it and you go and get orders from the court.The sheriff will serve it and evict her.Thats about it.

JEF-056-1

https://courts.ky.gov/resources/legalforms/Pages/legalformlibrary.aspx

I appreciate the chance to help you again.Good luck here.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

You can tell girlfriend if you file here it will affect her credit and hard for her to rent anywhere else.

The only way to remove a tenant from a rental unit is for a landlord to win an eviction lawsuit in court against the tenant. Even then, the landlord does not have the authority to remove the tenant from the rental unit. That can only be done by a law enforcement officer with a court order. The state of Kentucky has made it illegal for the landlord to force the tenant to move out of the rental unit, and the tenant can sue the landlord who tries. Illegal Eviction Procedures in Kentucky has more information.

After the tenant is evicted and has moved out of the rental unit, the landlord may find that the tenant has left behind personal property. Unlike most states, Kentucky does not have any laws regulating what the landlord should do with this property. That does not mean that the landlord should immediately dispose of it, though. The best practice for the landlord would be to send the tenant a written notice detailing the items left behind and give the tenant a reasonable amount of time to claim the property. If the tenant does not claim the property, then the landlord can dispose of the property in any legal manner (such as, disposing of it or selling it). Handling a Tenant’s Abandoned Property in Kentucky has more information for landlords who find themselves in this situation.