Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I am an inactive Ca licensed real estate broker...may I

refer a listing to a...
I am an inactive Ca licensed real estate broker...may I refer a listing to a Houston Texas realtor and legally accept a referral?
JA: What steps has the real estate broker taken so far? Have they prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I am the inactive broker, my brother is going to sell his home in texas and would like me to get a referral from it
JA: Where is the home located?
Customer: Houston Texas. My inactive license is in ca
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
11/11/2017
socrateaser, Lawyer

In California, any person can receive a "finder's fee" for the introduction of a buyer to a seller or vise versa. This principle would reasonably include a referral. However, if the person does anything else with regard to the transaction, no matter how minor, then the person violates the rule and must have an active California real estate license to receive a sales commission.

The problem in your scenario is that even if your license in California were active and in good standing, you aren't licensed in Texas. And, under Texas law, you cannot receive a sales commission or a finder's fee without an active California license. See Section 535.131 of TREC regulations.

Bot***** *****ne, you could receive a full sales commission if you make the referral and your California license is active. Otherwise, not.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer
socrateaser, Lawyer