Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We filed a claim on our flood insurance for a air

Customer Question
We filed a claim...

We filed a claim on our flood insurance for a air conditioning unit that was submerged in water from Hurricane Harvey. We have been denied as they are saying it is an electrical problem and not covered. However we have submitted multiple documents from several companies that a.) the electrical is fine and b) the air conditioning unit is damaged beyond repair and needs to be replaced. Since it is the air conditioner that is the problem this IS covered under our flood insurance. However they keep denying it saying it's electrical which it is not.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas Brazoria County

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes we have filed a claim and submitted many documents showing the air conditioner was damaged but they still keep denying it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at the moment

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/11/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. What are you asking exactly, i.e. are you asking what you can do now, how to file suit, etc?

What recourse do we have? We have submitted information that it is the air conditioner not the electric yet they keep denying the claim saying it is an electrical problem. Should we file suit? Is that the next step? Or should we apply to FEMA?
I can do this t yping just fine

What recourse do we have?

Two resources. First is to file a complaint with the TX Dept. of Insurance (see here). This is an administrative step, and the agency will investigate but normally will not order the insurance company to cover the damage - this can simply have them reprimanded at best.

The second step is to file suit (or threaten to do so) against the insurance company for breach of contract and negligence, because they are not covering what they are contractually obligated to cover. Making such a threat may help to have them reconsider their non-coverage decision.

FEMA is not going to help you resolve private insurance issues, I am afraid.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.