Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Association, roof CE, leaking, causing perimeter door frames…

Customer Question
Association, roof CE, leaking...

Association, roof CE, leaking, causing perimeter door frames to rot, 3 frames required in 15 years, Association has MMR... last time their Association insureance person did a walk through saw leaking stopped after roof was repaired (leaks occurred in garage ceiling damage, and infiltrated home from under cabinets, foyers floors.. etc)....

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have they taken so far? Have they prepared or filed any paperwork?

Since before 2014 have asked they find root cause, no use replacing doors etc because they all rot, contractor who replaced last door stated water was coming from up above... roof..... 2013... requests... 2014... etc.... when the roofer stated other units suffered same damage from roof they fired him and refused to supply me report from roofer, a management personnel stated they would reimburse last door frame purchased was discussing reimbursement via email... A. Management then fired him said I wasn't to contact him any longer.... 2014 after many months of back an forth and continued leaks and door damage they sent a Rep from Association insurance (Candos).... which met me and my insurance rep, they noticed deluge stopped in garage, as well as foyer and kitchen infiltration, and water spots on upper bedroom hall ceiling had dried post roof repair...l. Candos stated they would send an engineer to determine where water was coming from, Association the fired the entire management company, then told me they were not aware anything was pending.... said they knew nothing about report from their rep,,,,, that new management was taking over.... again stalemate.... I had surgery... 2015 given six months to live, had complications..... then brain not functioning..... etc.... now the association is suing me for not having fixed the door frame cause they state it's my responsibility........ the garage down poor.... initially they told me to have my insurance cover it... (neighbor had similar deluge... they replaced hers garage damage - she was a member of the board)------after the ordeal with candos the next association meeting they stated they were going to replace all roofs in the units early(years before due) because they have water issues through out due to roof not having the correct type of shingles florida weathedr shingles vs northern snow climate and that there have been many flue isssues.... this door frame issue has occurred to many many units, the damage is cause by the CE roof

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they talked to a FL lawyer about this?

I live in Illinois.... what is an FL lawyer.... that I know of they never stated they discussed this water issue with their layer they just state its our responsibility

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes... the association over 10 years ago agreed I could put a swing out of 2x4/s wood... on my deck... it's been over 10 years agreement was verbal... now with out advance notice they tacked it on to the law suit.... in addition to car space in my garage.... by laws state I have one car in the narrow 2 car garage and a motorcycle , 3 bycicles, snow toys.... they while in hospital my sister placed my moms belonings in space left in garage.... cause I couldn't take care of her she went to florida for a while.... despite my having 2 vehihcles in the garage (motorcycle) they state that "things prevent an automobile from being parked in the garage, storage prevents auto fm being parked..... by laws do not state all your vehicles must be parked in the garage ---- and a car is parked in there..... other .... water heater broke Christmas stuff got wet did not notice immiediately..... placed wet boxes with papers on deck or front stoop to dry via sun... as well as tents etc xmas decorations etc which were stored in boiler room storage space.... back in march... broght in once they dried.... they said nothing to me now it's on the lawsuit as well regarding my placing things on my deck and front stoop....it's obviously padding the door issue....... the water issue has been going on since the units began in 2000.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/11/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

Under Illinois law, the HOA has responsibility to make all repairs and to compensate you for any damages that you receive. Here, if they are unwilling to repair and pay, you can sue them in small claims court for the cost of repairs and damages to your property.

Here is the link to file in Illinois small claims court:

http://www.ag.state.il.us/consumers/smlclaims.html

Please rate 4 or 5 stars and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer