Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Allison). My wife and I (60+) are planning to break out of…

Customer Question
Hello. (David Allison)....

Hello. (David Allison). My wife and I (60+) are planning to break out of our 5 year lease here in Waterbury, CT 5 months early (a 55 and over complex accepted us early) and we are trying to negotiate an exit with our landlords. They want us to pay the gas and electric bills until they 1.) sell (a Hubbard clause is in effect) , 2.) lease to another renter.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Connecticut

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

We agreed to put the utilities in our name while we were here under the terms of the lease.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have paid for AC and Heat preventative maintenance but this isn't in the lease.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/10/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions

Tina, Lawyer