Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live on a hillside and I had a waterline break on my

Customer Question
property. My neighbor below...
I live on a hillside and I had a waterline break on my property. My neighbor below let me know water was leaking out of the bottom of my property I immediately turned off the water. The hill side on my neighbors property gave away and the dirt crashed into his house. My insurance company told me he needs to file a liability claim with his insurance. My home and property does not have any damage. The problem is my neighbor does not have any insurance. He did not pay his bill the last two months. My insurance said they will not cover my neighbors damage.Am I liable to pay this out of my pocket?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/10/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Am I liable to pay this out of my pocket?

.

I hate to say it, but yes. Your personal property (i.e. the water line) has caused damage to the neighbor's property and that would make you liable for it. But your neighbor would have a claim against you/your insurer for the damages and if they sued you, your insurance company would be on the hook for this ultimately.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much