Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have an odd situation here. story short: 1. My grandfather…

Customer Question
Hi, I have an...

Hi, I have an odd situation here. Long story short:

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

1. My grandfather agreed to purchase a house from a close from whom he’s known for 20 years. 2. He started working on the house before coming to an agreement of sale. 3. $16,000 in to renovations, the owner pulled the plug and sold it to someone else (my grandfather thought he could work on it first and get the money later because he’s old school and has known this person for a long time. 4. He couldn’t get a loan because he house was a shell and wouldn’t pass inspection. The owner sold the house for $62k but owes my Pop $18k for all the work he’s put into it. The owner has ignored my pop for months now and is not paying him back. I have everything in writing from the owner in text message in terms of selling the house to us, updates on how it’s going, pictures of before and after, etc. is there a chance we can recoup some money here?

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Philadelphia, PA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/10/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Seattle Scott, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Seattle Scott

Grandfather has a good claim for "unjust enrichment" - doesn't matter that there is no contract. Property owner knew of and consented to work being done and benefited from the work and knew that his friend wasn't doing the work for free or as a gift, thus the property owner is unjustly enriched by keeping the benefit of the remodel (increased selling price) without paying grandfather. Probably the best thing to do now is hire a lawyer to write a demand letter threatening a lawsuit if payment isn't made.