Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My landlord is charging me for repair bills they says is…

Customer Question
My landlord is charging...

My landlord is charging me for repair bills they says is caused by me leaving the water running unattended. The overflow drain on the bathtub doesn't work. I'm I liable

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I notified the landlord when the flooding occurred. They sent out a flooring and repair company and are charging me for the bill.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There are other plumbing issues in this house - stools don't flush properly. I'd like to get out of my lease

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/10/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

okay

Thanks so much for your patience. The answer to your question is no, if you notified the landlord and the cause of the damage was not repaired, then the landlord is going to be the one that is on the hook for the remaining repairs. You should only be charged for reasonable wear and tear repairs or anything that you damaged without telling the landlord.

If he does continue to charge you, then you should argue that this appears to be a classic breach of contract because they are charging you for things for which they were responsible. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because they have some state-specific breach of contract forms that you can use as well. Click here to choose your state started.

Any other questions for me today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer