Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Movers damaged my hardwood floors and we have been going…

Movers damaged my hardwood...

Movers damaged my hardwood floors and we have been going back and forth since August. Finally they are telling me that they can’t pay me the money per California law and that they need to pay the contractor or have proof the work has been done. We don’t want to have the work done until they pay us because we are afraid they won’t pay us and then the contractor is going to come after us.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not that we know of.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My husband had them movers write a written statement right after the incident

11/10/2017
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
They can't force you to have the work done. They have damaged your floors, and that reduced the value of your home. You're entitled to compensation for the reduced value. You don't have to have the floors repaired before they pay you. You're allowed to go to Small Claims and sue for the estimated value of repairing the damage. Just bring a few estimates with you, plus pictures of the damage. The judge will compare to make sure they're fair and then award you the value of one estimate or sometimes an average. The one benefit to paying first is that, if the work winds up being more than anticipated, you don't have to eat the difference. But I do understand wanting to wait. If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Lucy, thank you so much! So do you recommend we let the know we’ve consulted a lawyer or just go straight to small claims?

You're welcome!

That's entirely up to you. If you tell them that you've confirmed you don't have to have the work done before suing and are going to proceed with a lawsuit, it's possible they'll pay to avoid getting sued.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Thanks again so much! We would love to give you a positive review.

You're welcome! Have a good day.