Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I own a house that I rented out to a family member, and they…

Customer Question
I own a house...

I own a house that I rented out to a family member, and they recieved a search warrant and found drugs , what happens to my house. And what can I do.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not that I know of yet, the tenant where not home, I found out by going to the property while the search began

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know what I could do, they wouldn't let me in my house, so I need advice on what to do

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/10/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
N Cal Attorney

I am sorry to hear this.

What type and quantity of drugs were found?

Do you know if the tenant has been charged with a crime, and if so, what the charge or charges are?

The tenants weren't home, still arent there but I heard them say they found something. I stopped by my house no one was there, they just ledt the house a mess, my question is , can they take my house from me,

In general No, they cannot make you forfeit the house without some proof that you knew it was beng used for drug transactions, not merely for possession of minor quantities of contraband.