Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am a tenant at Villa del Mar in Oceanside which is

Customer Question
I am a tenant...

I am a tenant at Villa del Mar in Oceanside which is residential. For over a week there has been a gas leak on the property which has caused all units to have no heat, no oven, no stove, no hot water, etc. The complex offered $20 to tenants to go buy a hot plate or a small heater; the problem will be ongoing indefinitely as the problem is more complex than the original leak. The landlord has all my rent for the month, the renters insurance will not pay to move to a hotel and the landlord will not fully prorate next month's rent. Plus they will charge for electricity costs not used normally and call it rent. I need to know my rights. Please advise. I am a family law paralegal for over 20 years. Thank you. *****(###) ###-####or***@******.***

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Yes, sorry San Diego County CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No. The leak was discovered on or about 10.31.17

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not really, I can not live normally. Shower, wash hair, eat, etc.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/9/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

It's very hard for us to answer a question like "what are my rights" and provide you with helpful information. I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what do I do", "what are my rights", or "what are my options", we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.

Are you asking if you can require the landlord provide you compensation for this?