Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am renting a house. I rented a room to my daughter. She is…

Customer Question
I am renting a...

I am renting a house. I rented a room to my daughter. She is $1000 behind in rent. She is an alcoholic and a drug addict and doing it in our home. I have COPY and she is smoking in the houose. I want to evict her.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I gave her a three day notice on the 24th of October.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can I evict her if I'm renting?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/9/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 9 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. The answer is yes, you can evict her even if you are yourself a renter on the property.

She rents from you. So, you are effectually her landlord. You are the sublessor, and she is the subtenant.

The same landlord/tenant rules apply on the "sub" level. She can be evicted if she has not paid rent much like any other tenant - with 3 days notice under Florida Statutes Secs. 83.56. If she does not leave in 3 days, she may be evicted. It does not matter if she is related or not - that does not change anything.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.