Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have water damage in my utility room in my condo. The

I have water damage...

I have water damage in my utility room in my condo. The furnace problem is the downstairs furnace vent pipe. The condo association says that the cost to fix the pipe leak and repair the water damage imy responsiblity because the pipes are part of the unit. "That's the law in Wisconsin"

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I filed a claim with my home owners insurance they said the problem was outside the unit walls. I had a contractor take out the furnace and hot water heat to remove the drywal to find the problem. No in short I have not filed any paper work.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a WI lawyer about this?

Yes. They took the info but did not call me back as they said they would.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am proceeding with repairs so I can get the furnace back up and running.

11/9/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

That is not actually "the law in Wisconsin." The law in Wisconsin states it depends on what your condo documents state are common areas that are the liability of the association and what areas are the liability of the unit owners. So, you need to refer to the bylaws and covenants of your association. Also, if the pipe is not inside your unit, then it is up to the association to repair and you need to bring it back to the board and if they refuse to pay, then you need to consider suing the Association, since anything outside the walls of your unit are the problem of the association and they know that and are hoping you go away.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

I will have to think how I want to proceed.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, you need to weigh out the costs of repair against the cost of suing the association.