Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I live in an apartment in Cherokee county, Georgia and my

water is added into my...
I live in an apartment in Cherokee county, Georgia and my water is added into my rent. My water meter is in my closet with the HVAC system but since I've lived here that door is always locked. I have no way of knowing exactly how much water I use and if they're billing me a fair price, and if they're including the car wash and pools in with it. I called the water company and they stated that they give the apartment complex one lump sum for billing.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Georgia
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no I'm just curious if I have any legal grounds to say that I want my closet door unlocked (I buy my own air filters since they buy the very cheap ones) so I would like access when I want
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: will this cost me anything
11/8/2017
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

You have a right to ask the landlord to break out the allocation of expenses to you as a tenant when it is lump sum billing. In other words, you have a right to know how your bill is calculated. Have you attempted the request yet?

We have a water submitted read info on our bill. Example 7/1 is 236535 to 8/1 237593. It seems to be for my apartment but when do they come in? And there's no note saying they where here.

Are you saying the water company is not checking the meter and you would know because it is in your closet? If so, when you spoke to the water company, and you mentioned that to them, what did they say?

I have no idea when they come. The answer I got from the water company is they lump sum the bill to the complex. If the doors are locked they would have to have a key. I could put tape on the door and see if it gets broken.

Hmmm. I suppose you can do that. Sometimes the water company is unable to check the meter then estimates the use per month. Usually, it would let you know when an inspection occurred when you ask them. It appears that the landlord get the water bill, then attempts to determine how to allocate it among the usage. You could be paying more than your share. Usually a water company can give an estimate of how much water someone with your apartment usually uses. Possibly, you can ask them the water company's estimate for your apartment. We can continue to discuss if you want to do so. If you have any further questions, you can also let me know.

Thank you I'll look into that. Have a good day.

You are welcome. You too.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney