Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have an insurance claim question. I had some water damage…

I have an insurance...

I have an insurance claim question. I had some water damage and did not think I was going to file for RCV, so I paid cash to two drywall guys I know who do this kind of work at night for about 650 sq feet of sheetrock. No one else really wanted to do a job that small in the construction boom we have been having lately. I had added expenses in the project so I decided to file for RCV. Now I'm out of time and don't know quite how to turn in the cash payments without the adjuster freaking out.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I have prepared some and filed some.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Fairview, nc

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The three year statute of limitations is up Friday. I have had all other work done and receipts are ready.

11/7/2017
Infolawyer, Lawyer
You want to file the claim ASAP.
You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.
Cash receipts are fine as would be your testimony.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
cash receipts are acceptable? I don't have invoices for the sheetrock work. The adjuster mentioned something about only accepting work from licensed contractors. These guys are professionals, their day jobs are for licensed contractors, but they are not contractors themselves. I have already filed the claim, just turning in receipts now.
obviously check payments to licensed professionals would be better but what you have is compensable. You can provide photos and narration of work to help confirm work done.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”Would you kindly rate me five stars - that is the only way I get credit by the website. Thank you!
Infolawyer, Lawyer