Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I had a three year lease which ended in March the original…

Customer Question
I had a three...

I had a three year lease which ended in March the original lease agreement allowed for 60 day rental but also stated all of the requirements of the lease were still in place including a 60 day notice I gave my landlord 6 week notice can he deduct 2 weeks rent from mydeposit?also he has not returned my deposit in 21 days we had a walk thruon the 24th but I vacated on the 5th of Oct isn’t law 21 days from the day I vacate?and can he apply the terms of the lease even if I didn’t have another lease?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Washington state

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

What do you mean. Legal paperwork? No I’m still wIting for him to send a ch3ck and tell me what portion he is withholding and why

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He also wants to charge me for a dent in the wall mDe by a door handle there was no stopper when I. Iced in and a small stain in the 7 year old carpet and painting an entire wall because he insisted I repair any holes I made by pictures being hung

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/7/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this chat, you might experience some delays while I am preparing responses to you. That is a normal part of dealing with complicated legal issues. Please do not opt me out expecting a faster response. This will only result in further delays. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Ok
I am waiting for the phone call
Real Estate Lawyer: Joycelaw, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started

Sorry for the delay. I do not see a valid request for a phone call, for some reason. You can contact customer service if you want help with that.

I don't understand this: "the original lease agreement allowed for 60 day rental". Can you clarify what this means?

Sure in the original lease it stated after end of lease if tenant wants to stay they may in an every 69 day rental but all if the stipulations in the original lease are still in effect they are saying because the lease stated the tenant must give 69 days notice they are with holding 10 weeks rent which is $1750 that also want to charge me for painting which I already paid for a dent in the wall caused by the door knob as there was no stopper and a small stain in a 7 year old carpet they also want to charge me for water and electricity fir those 2 weeks even though I vacated in Oct 1st I have still not revived a check we did do a walk thru on Ict 24th but I only revived a phone snap shot of that even though zi have asked it to be mailed to me they say they are sending a check and all of the invoices we are paying for tiday well over the 22 days required by lae

OK, because there is no punctuation in your response, it is really hard to understand. I need some time to decipher what it says and to prepare a response.

Oops zi mean 22 days as required by law
Ok sorry zi mean to say the lease said zi could rent on an every 60 day cycle after the lease was up on 2/28/17 but that all stipulations if the lease were still in effect IE 60 day notice so I rented Mar thru April May1st thru June 30th and July thru the end if August I gave them notice on August10th and used Sept as my last month and applied my last month rent . They said because the 60 day stipulation of notice in the original lease still applied I had to pay rent thru Oct 10 and pay 10 days rent $1750 plus electricity and utilities

I think we need to have a phone call. Can you please click on the link for a phone call. Because I am getting more confused now.

What did the original lease say about the utilities?

Tina, Lawyer