Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My apartment manager has been harassing my not giving me…

Customer Question
My apartment manager has...

My apartment manager has been harassing my not giving me proper notice to "fix" a non-emergency problem. In addition, he knocks at the most inconvenient times even after warning him that i am taking a shower or using the restroom. He also does a random check up. I've tried calling the police when my manager was in my apartment, but they were not very helpful. Lastly, I have resolved to asking my friends to come to my apartment whenever my manager is around. Where can i complain about this?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?

California Attorney: no.

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Lease: 1 year. Maintenance: Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have mentioned the initial problem.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Here's the detailed encounterNovember 2:
Random fix of surveillance camera was attached on the corner of my apartment. There were no proper notice given to enter my apartment that may affect my electricity. The manager gave me a phone call to ask if he may enter the premisses. Unknowingly, the notification was effective 20 minutes after the conversation.I was taking a shower when I heard a knock. I interrupted my shower and quickly got dressed and answered the door. The manager ask to check the electricity unit of where they are installing the camera attached to the plug-connector. I checked the plug and it was working well.I waited about 5 minutes, since my friend said he was arriving to pick me up (carpool to work). I notified my friend about my uncomfortable encounter with my apartment manager in the morning. My friend went to the kitchen. Since I still have shampoo on my hair, I told my friend if he could just stay in kitchen until I’m done.In the middle of my shower, someone knocked on my door: it was my apartment manager. I uncomfortably grabbed a coat and opened the door. He quickly demanded to check my switch light on the kitchen and to check the plugs, so I quickly did. And as i was politely saying my goodbyes, he quickly asked to check the plugs and switches from the restroom and the studio room.Around 5 pm, I came home and my shower head was dripping. So i notified my apartment manager.Around 6pm, I heard a knock, and it was my apartment manager. Since he was carrying tools, I thought he was going to fix the shower head. Instead, he said that tomorrow a plumber will be dropping by around 8am-10am. And after checking the leak, he would have tools by Monday morning.On my apartment manager’s way out, he saw cat food and said that I was going to be on his eviction list for feeding the stray cats.Nov 3:
No text or call from the apartment manager. Around 10 am, I left for work and my friend stayed to rest before his shift. Around noon, my friend said he heard a knock and the manager told him that the plumber will be at my apartment at the end of the day.5pm: After work, no one showed up.Nov 6:
Monday morning: received no text or call from my manager.12:45pm: Texted my apt manger to give me a heads up on when the plumber will drop by.1:40pm: As i was using the restroom and talking on the phone, I received a text and a loud persistent knock. Quickly I yelled twice: “hold on please.” I flushed, and quickly got dressed. Another continuous, aggressive knock, I yelled “hold on please.”After the plumber check the leaked I asked my apartment manager if I could be notified ahead of time when things needs fixing. He said that they don’t notify by paper, only by phone call or text. So I asked to let me be notified by text for at least a day in advance whenever maintenance is needed.
11/7/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. The situation you describe is completely unacceptable. It is in fact grounds to move out. You can also file a restraining order against this person. Where in California is your apartment located?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
San Gabriel, CA
Did you intend to opt me out?
You have a few options. You can get out of your lease, file a restraining order and file a complaint with the State.
Tina, Lawyer