Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I evicted a tenant and she left personal property in the…

I evicted a tenant...

I evicted a tenant and she left personal property in the house. what is my legal responsibility to her? This is in the state of Virginia and we acquired the property back through a writ of possession, from my understanding the property left in there is abandoned and can be sold to satisfy her delinquent balance. Do I need to give her any notice to sell the stuff.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Va.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

We already have property back.

11/6/2017
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: In order for the property to be considered abandoned the landlord must provide the former tenant with a 30 day notice of abandonment. If the former tenant does not remove the property from the unit by the deadline, the landlord may dispose of the property as they see fit. In addition, the notice to the former tenant may provide that the landlord will charge them a reasonable storage fee for each day that the property is not removed.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Is that per the virginia landlord act?

The Act only handles abandoned property upon a normal termination of the lease (please click here to view the relevant code section).

The Act does handle abandoned property upon an eviction.

The information I provided relates specifically to eviction.

I'm confused. Code 55-248.38:2 of the code says the sheriff's notice is sufficent notice and after the 24 hours i can dispose of the property and apply the proceeds to the tenants deposit and use that to satisfy any balance owing.

Apologies, did you state that this was an unlawful detainer action or that the tenant moved out after an eviction notice?

The tenant was put out by the sheriff through a writ of possession.

Thank you for that clarification.

Then, yes, Section 55-248.38:2 and you may dispose of the property after the 24-hour period.

Okay thanks, ***** ***** Twist on it. If the furniture was financed and there's no UCC recorded on it would they have a right to it being I am not contractually obligated to the furniture store.

They would have to bring a claim against the tenant, not you, as you have no contractual relationship with the store.

Roy Hadavi