Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My husband would like to apply for a reverse mortgage in…

My husband would like...

My husband would like to apply for a reverse mortgage in Texas but I am 59. If I sign a waiver of homestead rights, how long does he have to wait to apply for the mortgage?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

11/4/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Generally, under Texas law a waiver of homestead rights is not enforceable. See: Lincoln v. Bennett, 156 S.W.2d 504, 505 (Tex. 1941); First Interstate Bank of Bedford v. Bland, 810 S.W.2d 277, 283–84 (Tex. App.—Fort Worth 1991, no writ). The courts simply will refuse to enforce such waivers. However, if the reverse mortgage company is seeking for you to waive your community property rights in the home, if you do so, then your husband could immediately get the mortgage. There is no waiting period from the waiver to filing for the mortgage.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.