Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Neighbor in back is hanging lights on our fence. They did

not ask permission to do...
Neighbor in back is hanging lights on our fence. They did not ask permission to do this and that neighbor told us that she has the right to hang anything on her side of our fence. Is this true?
11/2/2017
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

If the fence is entirely on one person's property and there is no dispute as to the property line, then the property owner where the fence is located is the owner of the fence.

A neighbor cannot utilize that fence for any reason as that would be considered a trespass.

The damages for trespass may include the following (based on common law tort):

1. actual economic damage

2. court costs

3. injunctive relief (an order precluding further trespass, a violation of which can result in sanctions such as daily fines, award of legal fees, even jail time)

Please see:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/fe/fe88900.pdf

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
5 Stars. Thank you. It was extremely difficult to get an answer from the St John's County offices. No one knew what dept. would answer my questions. I am assuming that your answer would hold true for St. John's County, FL. ?

Yes, as property ownership issues are not controlled by local ordinance but are rather common law issues that are addressed in case law. An ordinance cannot "take away" one's property without due compensation under the law of eminent domain.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for following up. I wrote a letter to this neighbor explaining the information you sent and also about her bushes and trees that a extremely close to the fence. She hasn't removed the lights and hasn't addressed the letter at all. What is the next step? I'm concerned about two Camphor tree seedlings that have grown very close to the fence. I explained that these seedlings will grow to be very big trees and need to be removed. She hasn't responded.

If a neighbor won't respond to a request then the next step is to seek an injunction from the court which directs the person to remove the items. If they fail to do so they can be held in contempt, which can include sanctions such as the award of attorney fees and costs, daily fines for non compliance.

Seedlings are not actionable until they actually encroach. At that point the neighbor whose land is being encroached upon may trim the overhanging limbs but must take care to not damage the tree or face liability.

Here is an overview on these laws:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fe962

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator